Thursday, July 7, 2011

Peeps

title: Peeps
author: Scott Westerfield
how I read it: once in print before giving it as a gift (what? I didn't break the spine) and once in ebook form

Cal is a Peep - a parasite positive. He's been infected by a parasite that alters human behaviour. The infected become light sensitive, strong and fast, phobic of the things and people they once loved, sex-starved, and very, very hungry for meat - human or otherwise. Luckily for Cal, he's a rare carrier rather than a full-blown Peep. Yeah, he's hungry and horny, but at least he's still mostly himself.

Peeps is a vampire book, except that there's nothing supernatural about it. This is no love story about a sweet young girl drawn towards a dark, brooding vampire. This is about garbage and rats and instinctive needs and infection and things that rumble deep in the Earth.

Peeps is suspenseful, fast-paced and easy to read. The tension mounts as the rats and garbage gather in the alleyways. There were a few scenes that made my heart pound, particularly when Cal found himself deep underground and close to a primal something that both terrified him and called to him.

Cal's voice - ironic, self-deprecating, funny, kind of nerdy - is strong and believable. Lace (Cal's new lady friend and partner in peep-hunting) is also likeable and funny, although it's a bit hard to believe that a woman in her twenties would preface every sentence with the word "dude".

Westerfield's take on vampirism is original and shockingly plausible, made all the moreso by detailed descriptions of actual existing parasites. This book is not for the squeamish. It hops back and forth between Cal's story and descriptions of parasite life cycles that are almost too graphic at times. (Well, too graphic for some. Personally, I love a good dose of gross.) These parallel parasite stories really creeped me out and helped me sink even more deeply into the story; if a parasite can make an ant climb the highest blade of grass and wait to be eaten by a cow, then who's to say that it couldn't change humans into mindless cannabilistic creatures?

Hey, it could happen.

There's an apocalyptic vibe to the book; you sense that the end is imminent, although the book doesn't fully go there. Peeps is a strong stand-alone book. While there are questions at the end that definitely leave you feeling that there's more to come, this book doesn't end on a cliffhanger designed to force you into buying another book. I love well-written sequals; I don't love being manipulated.

this book made me want to: study parasitology

verdict: I loved it! I highly recommend this book.

sequel: The Last Days

5 comments:

  1. Dude, I probably couldn't stomach this book. But, I think you did a good job with the book review!! haha. I can't remember if I've said this before, but have you heard of www.goodreads.com ? I may or may not be obsessed with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! Since I'm not really into this kind of book, I don't think I'll read it, but if I was...I would.
    I think my favorite thread from this is that you read a book before giving as a gift---not only do I think that's a good idea, but I've done it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Scott Westerfeld. This is on my to-reads on Goodreads (yes, I am also obsessed with that site). Have you read Uglies? Also awesome. Nice book review, very detailed and we really get a sense of who you are as a reader, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you have a book blog now. That's AWESOME. :)

    This is a great review. I don't normally read this kind of fiction, but I must say, you are probably going to change me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the new book review blog. Can't wait to see what you talk about on here!

    ReplyDelete